foreigner opening bank account in usa

foreigner opening bank account in usa

Can foreigners open savings accounts in the US?

A non-U.S. citizen can open a checking or savings account in the United States, but financial institutions reserve the right to deny his or her application to do so.

Business Contract with Non-U.S. Citizen

Private businesses in the U.S. have the right to contract with foreign individuals or groups; this right is explicitly stated in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. However, the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, have made it much more difficult for foreign persons to open accounts or engage in monetary transactions in the U.S. or through American financial institutions.

Due to regulations set forth in the USA Patriot Act, banks and credit unions must now follow strict guidelines to verify an individual's identity when establishing a new savings account. A foreign individual must have a U.S.-based local address to tie to the account.

It is easier to guarantee acceptance with a U.S.-based multinational bank with foreign branches. This provides international applicants with the opportunity to build up a business relationship with the bank before applying to the bank stateside.

Documentation and Identification

Any would-be account-holder must provide a current photo identification card, such as a passport or a state-issued driver's license; in most instances, photocopies are not accepted. In addition to a photo ID, individuals opening a savings account are required to provide their Social Security number, birth date, current and past addresses, and employment information. For non-U.S. citizens, an American Social Security number is not necessary for checking or savings accounts, though the absence of one may require the applicant to jump through extra hoops.

Foreign applicants do need two forms of personal ID; one of these must be a passport, which the bank will make a copy of for its records. Acceptable forms of secondary identification include a driver's license, a debit card, a work visa or a student ID. Depending on the work or study status of the applying party, the bank may require a copy of other documentation as well.

If the foreign applicant is opening an account with a wire transfer, he needs proof of funds. This also applies to large cash deposits. If the applicant has a job or residence, he needs documentation to verify each of those as well.

The majority of banks have a brief application that gathers all identifying information. After submitting an application for a savings account, applicants may be asked by the institution to review the terms and conditions of the account, which may list privacy policies, fees assessed on the account and minimum funding levels.

The applicant is likely to be required to appear in-person at the branch. Heightened security after 2001 led to the near-elimination of online applications for foreign accounts, due to fear of terrorism-related money laundering.

Banks and credit unions differ in how much they require an individual to deposit to establish a savings account, but minimum funding ranges from $5 up to $50 for basic accounts. Savings account deposits can be made in cash or check, either in person at a branch location or via the mail. Once the minimum is fulfilled, a savings account is considered open and in good standing.

As a foreigner, can I open a bank account in the USA?

The account opening application will ask you to provide your social security number. If you don't have it, you have to provide information of your passport and documents of your legal entry to USA.

My brother is a foreign student. He not only has bank accounts, but also IRA accounts and stock trading accounts.

Banks normally won't refuse any business. You can open a saving account. And then you can ask the bank to give you a credit card based on your saving account. The bank doesn't lose anything. A saving account will allow you 2 or 3 withdrawl every month. It should be enough for you.

Asking costs 5 points and then choosing a best answer earns you 3 points!

How can a foreigner open a US bank account?

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

1. If the person is on an official trip to USA and will be earning an income while his stay in USA then - Yes he can open an account with any Bank in USA.

2. if the person is on a personal/tourist trip to USA and will not be earning any income during his stay there then - No, he cannot open an account with any Bank in USA.

Foreigner opening bank account in usa

I am a mozambican citizen and would like to know whether I can open a bank account in the USA. I don't live in the US but am planning to buy a house and put it on rent. What requirements should I meet in order to do so?

Yes, you can. You need to come to the bank with 2 different types of ID (one of them will be your passport, some banks accept an existing credit/debit card as a second ID) and fill the form W8-BEN.

If you're going to have a property manager company managing the house for you, they'll similarly need your id information and form W8-ECI.

Check if there's a tax treaty with your country, and if there is - if there are provisions relevant for you and your future income. If so - specify the article, section and the specific terms on the W8 forms.

Make sure not to sign on a form W9 (if by mistake it is given to you by an ignorant bank employee or realtor).

W8 forms require you to have a tax ID. If you don't have a US SSN and is not eligible for one - you can apply for a tax id (called ITIN) with the IRS, using form W7.

U.S. Bank Accounts For Foreign Entrepreneurs

Opening a Bank Account in the United States

Many international businesses need to open a U.S. business bank accounts to make doing business with U.S. customers more convenient and to avoid the hassle of foreign currency and exchange rates. In general, it is strongly recommended that a business entity maintains a separate bank account. This would help keep entity in compliance with IRS record-keeping requirements and will provide for a better way to manage company’s cash flow.

After 9/11 and with the passing of the Patriot Act it became really hard for foreigners to open U.S. bank accounts. Today all US banks are required to document verification that the person opening the account is the person on the I.D. they’re receiving. The easiest solutions practically all banks chose to go with is simply having one of the employees in their branches make sure that the person opening the account in the branch is the same person in the photo I.D.

Some remote account opening options become available from time to time. You are welcome to check this post to see what options are currently available. Otherwise you are welcome to continue reading this article to find out how else you can open a bank account.

Ways to Open a Business Bank Account in the US, and Alternatives

So what are the possible ways to open a bank account in the US for a non-US person, not residing in the US? Let me present you with several possible solutions to this dilemma, including some alternatives to opening an account in the US:

If You Have a Personal Bank Account in the U.S.

If you visited the U.S. in the past and have opened a personal bank account your best bet would be to try to contact your bank (preferably the same branch) and see if the would open an account for your business remotely.

Periodically it's possible to find an opportunity to open an account remotely with an online bank. For example, you can try such banks as Silicon Valley Bankпј‰or EverBank. Also, eTrade seems to have the option of opening a bank account, even though they are technically a brokerage. It's a long shot, but worth trying before anything else.

Keep in mind: online banks typically require an SSN (Social Security Number), but would open an account if you have ITIN (individual Tax Identification Number) as a replacement (ITIN has the same number of digits as SSN).

Use a Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card Account Instead of Traditional Bank Account

In most cases what you need is not a bank account per se, but the functions provided by a traditional bank account. For that you can use a reloadable prepaid debit card from companies such as NetSpendпјЊPayoneerпјЊPayza , etc. What you get is an internationally recognized debit card and an account number with routing and ABA numbers.

With such an account you can set up free Direct Deposit of your paycheck, have your card reloaded at various locations (for example NetSpend list on their website more than 100,000 NetSpend Reload Network Locations throughout the U.S. to add cash or checks), and transfer money using PayPalВ®, a checking or savings account, or another card account (NetSpend or Payoneer). You should even consider opening accounts with several of those companies, to diversify your financial option.

A trip to the US would present you with the best opportunity to open a bank account. If you plan a trip anyway, or have the financial ability (as well as spare time) to make a trip to the US then it would probably be the best solution. Keep in mind that you need to bring a number of documents, both personal and business related, and it's always a good idea to contact the bank directly prior to arrival to ensure you have all the documents in your possession at the time of visiting the branch. Below I list all the documents required (or those that might be required) by a typical US bank (however keep in mind that even within the same bank different branches might have slightly different requirements).

Verify Your Identity in U.S. Embassy

Some banks would accept I.D. verification through US embassy. A person in a foreign country looking to open a U.S. bank account could go to a U.S. embassy in their country, and someone there at the embassy could sign the I.D. verification form. Obviously, this is really only practical for someone who lives close to a U.S. embassy, however if the only alternative is to travel to the US then it could be a better solution. Of course, this is only meaningful if you verify first with the bank in the US that they would accept it.

Partner with Someone in the US

If traveling to the US or using the embassy solution is not an option, one way to do it is by partnering with someone in the US. Many people have friends and family in the US that could assist them in opening a bank account. It is very important to understand that a person you partner with, who will also be the one listed as company representative at the bank, should be trustworthy, so choose carefully. Keep in mind that this person will have access to all company funds going through this account, and as long as you are not listed as a co-signer on the account, would have exclusive authority to perform such operations as closing or blocking it.

Hire a US Manager/Executive Officer

If you want to keep the ownership to yourself an alternative would be to hire a manager or executive officer for your company, who would represent it at the bank. LLCs for example can be formed as "manager-managed", which in some states would require you to list the manager on company's Articles of Organization. Similar to previous solution that person would have exclusive authority in questions of managing the bank account, so choose carefully.

This solution is different from the previous one in that fact that here you will compensate the manager with a salary (or one time payment), while in the previous solution you compensate them with shares or member interest. To grant this person an authority to represent your company you might need to issue them a Certificate of Incumbency (see below).

Alternative #1: Bank Account In Your Country

Some businesses registered in the US might not even need a US bank account. If your company would provide services to business clients in the US it might be an option to have the funds wired to a US dollar bank account of your US company that you would open instead in your country. If you plan to have a merchant account (for example to accept credit card payments online), not being a US person your only solution might be to open a merchant account with a bank or financial institution in your country, in which case you would need to have a bank account in your country anyway.

Keep in mind, in order to open a bank account for a US company in your country the company documents need to be certified through a process called "Apostille/Embassy Certification" (see below).

Alternative #2: Bank Account in Another Country

You might as well opt for opening a bank account in an offshore jurisdiction. Many jurisdictions are known for their beneficial environment for business activity and make it easy to open bank accounts remotely, so you might want to consider researching this option further.

Alternative #3: PayPal and Similar Services

Depending on your business needs you might want to opt for using financial services such as PayPal. If you are having hard time opening bank account and merchant account for your business, using PayPal or similar services (such as Google Wallet, Amazon Payments, etc.) to collect payments from your client might be your only (but nevertheless viable) option.

Alternative #4: 2Checkout, Stripe & Skrill (ex-MoneyBookers)

If the only reason why you need a U.S. bank account is to be able to collect payments from your U.S. clients you should consider using 2Checkout, Stripe, or Skrill for credit card processing. 2Checkout, Stripe and Skrill allow merchants based in a number of countries covering wide range of industries to collect online payments from buyers across the globe.

MORE ABOUT 2CHECKOUT: 2Checkout is a worldwide leader in payments and e-commerce services. 2Checkout powers online sellers with a global platform of payment methods and a world-class fraud prevention service on secure and reliable PCI-compliant payment pages, including its newest feature, Direct Checkout, an inline checkout solution designed to overlay the final cart page and appear to your customers like they have never left the site!

2Checkout’s payments platform bundles a gateway and merchant account into one single offering with no need to contract with a merchant bank or manage separate agreements. You can accept Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover, PayPal, Diner’s Club, JCB and Debit cards (in the U.S.) from one solution through 2Checkout’s fully secure hosted payment pages. In addition, 2Checkout provides industry leading recurring billing services, call center support, full SSL certification, and the system is translatable in 15 languages and 26 international currencies for buyers and sellers in over 200 countries.

Alternative #5: High-Risk Merchant Accounts

If your country or industry is not covered by 2Checkout or Skrill there is an option of high-risk merchant accounts. The terms of use for those accounts usually include higher that regular fees (between 7% and 15%), and also longer payout delays (2-3 weeks, compared to 2-3 days for regular accounts). Some other terms might apply. When you establish some history with the high risk merchant account provider (such as 6-9 months of flawless processing) you could qualify for better terms. Also, your processing history with one provider could be used in the future to apply for a merchant account with another provider, with better terms.

When opening a bank account in the US a company representative appearing in person in the bank would need to bring specific company and personal documents. Below you can see the list of all possible documents a representative would be required to have in his/her possession:

Articles of Incorporation/Organization

To open a business account in the U.S., a company must be registered in one of the US states or D.C., and a representative would submit proof of this entity formation to the bank. The type of documentation required depends on the type of entity formed: a corporation must submit Articles of Incorporation, and an LLC must submit Articles of Organization. Some banks would accept filing receipt instead, but majority require a certified copy of Articles.

EIN (also known as federal employer identification number) Confirmation Letter (form SS4) is required by all banks to open a business account. The basic reason is that the bank (and yourself) have tax reporting requirements to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) based on your account information, and the EIN is required as the reporting identification number.

Typically a bank would require 2 pieces of identification for the company representative opening the account, at least one of these must have a picture. A passport would work just fine, but make sure its not expired.

Banks require the company representative opening the account to submit a personal proof of address. Examples of eligible documents are utility bills, or foreign bank account statements (preferred). Keep in mind - the document MUST be in English. If it's in language other than English it must be officially translated and notarized. Keep in mind, some banks have multilingual bankers, authorized to accept documents in the language they are certified for, but you shouldn't count on that.

Most U.S. banks will not open a business account without a U.S. physical address. Sometimes the bank will accept the street address of a Registered Agent, otherwise known as a Registered Office. Banks are usually accommodating on this requirement, especially if your type of business is one in which having a physical branch is impractical, for example a company that does business mainly over the Internet.

Some banks also require that the U.S. physical location be within a certain distance (e.g. 10 miles) of the bank branch at which you open the business account. For example, you cannot open a business account in New York if your U.S. physical address is in California.

Minimum deposits vary from bank to bank, with most brick-and-mortar banks requiring as little as $100 (some banks might even have $0 deposit requirements). Check with your bank what would be their minimum deposit requirement for foreign clients.

Letter from a CPA or Company Attorney

This document might be required in some banks, if the bank is located in a state other than the state of registration. For example, if you register a Wyoming LLC and want to open an account in a New York bank, the bank would want to see a statement, written by a company accountant or an attorney, stating that this company does not do business in their respective state (in our example, New York). This should not be a complicated letter, something along the lines of, e.g., "I am such and such, confirming that company ABC, formed under the laws of Wyoming, does not and has no immediate plans to conduct business in the state of New York. ". The letter must be dated and signed.

Many banks require that companies submit Certificates of Good Standing (also called Certificate of Existence) to show that they are currently doing business and in good standing in the state in which they formed their business. Please contact the bank to see if they have this requirement.

Certificate of Incumbency (also called "Incumbency Certificate") is an official document that lists the names of incumbent directors and officers within an organization, and their corporate position within it. An Incumbency Certificate is used as confirmation of the identity of the signing authorities of a company and to prove that they are authorized to enter into legally-binding transactions on the company's behalf. This certificate can be drafted on demand (there are plenty of samples online), and must be signed by the company secretary and sealed by a company seal.

Banking Resolution is a company document issued by the Board of Directors (for corporations) or by Members (for LLCs), giving certain individuals the authority to open a bank account on behalf of the company. Some banks have specific language that they require to include in the resolution (and would often supply a sample), other bank accept resolutions issued by the company, as long as it clearly presents and identity of the individual(s), and the extent of the authorization.

Operating Agreement / Bylaws & Minutes

An operating agreement is an agreement among LLC Members governing the LLC's business, and Member's financial and managerial rights and duties. Corporate bylaws are generally concerned with the operation of the corporation, setting out the form, manner or procedure in which a corporation should be run. Bylaws come with minutes of meetings (in the beginning they would include the initial meeting, where bylaws are adopted by the board of directors).

Some banks would require a company representative to present the bank with a copy of those documents (operating agreement for LLC, and bylaws with minutes to corporations) when opening a bank account (albeit its quite rare).

Apostille/Embassy Certification

If you plan to open a bank account in your country or in one of the offshore locations you should be aware of the local regulations and inquire at the bank which documents would be needed to open an account. Typically, at least the Articles of Organization/Incorporation would be required, and this document then needs to be certified for international use.

If you plan to open a bank account in any jurisdiction that is a signatory of a Hague Convention (also called "Apostille Convention") then you would need to have an Apostille attached to a certified copy of your company's Articles (this is done on a state level only).

If you plan to open the bank account in any other country or jurisdiction that is not a signatory of the Hague convention then the process is a bit more complicated and involves certification of the document at the US State Department and then at the Embassy of the country/jurisdiction in question.

In the current banking market, customers can choose between brick-and-mortar banks, typically big national banks with numerous local branches throughout the country, or Internet-only banks.

The advantage of brick-and-mortar banks, such as Chase, Citi Bank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, or HSBC, is that they have many local branches where you can visit and speak to representatives in person. On the other hand, the main advantage of Internet-only banks, like Silicon Valley Bank, EverBank, ING Direct and HSBC Advance, is that they do not have the overhead expenses of operating local branches, and therefore can afford to offer their customers better rates on their accounts.

Internet-only banks might be more flexible in terms of accepting applications of foreigners, however many of those banks reject applications without Social Security Number.

It's a good idea to contact several banks and see what options they have for foreigners who cannot travel to the US. If you can travel in person then you should have no problem opening a bank account, provided you are equipped with all the documents when you show up at the bank. Most banks would permit you to fax or email them whatever document that would be missing, the most important thing for them is to go through identity verification process of the applicant.

Although opening a bank account in the US might seem a complicated issue, it is really only complicated by the requirement of personal appearance at the branch. Therefore its a good idea to plan ahead before a company is formed and see if (a) a bank account in the US is absolutely necessary, or one of the alternatives would work just fine, (b) is it possible (or feasible) to make the trip to the US in person, or (c) is there are third party (friend, relative, someone you would choose to trust) located in the US who would agree to join the company as partner or manager.

Good luck with your new business venture!

Robert Kowalski is a seasoned incorporator and business filing specialist with over 10 years experience consulting emerging companies with their business filing needs. Robert served as the chief editor and one of the top contributors to Answers @

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 оценок, среднее: 5.00 из 5)
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

+ 47 = 57

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: